About YouTube Advertising
Youtube is one of the top sites (3rd in rank after Google.com and Google.co.in) according to Alexa Top sites in India. With 225 million as monthly user base, it has already reached 80% of the internet population in India. Hence, Youtube advertising in India is a very good opportunity for brands to reach their target audience.
Types of YouTube Ads
There are many types of YouTube Ads but at a higher level, YouTube Ads can be divided into Skippable Ads and Non-skippable Ads.
- Non- Skippable Ads: These are 15-20 sec ads that are played before the videos. This type of YouTube ads is more effective for engagement as these cannot be skipped but are not well received by the audience, for they appear to be forced. Advertisers pay for these ads on a CPM basis.
- Skippable Ads: Skippable Ads are also known as True View Ads. These are usually skippable after 5 seconds. This type of YouTube ads can be shown in either of the two ways: In-stream or Discovery Ads. The advertisers have to pay only for the ads if they have been watched for 30 sec or the complete video (for videos lesser than 30 sec).
- In-Stream YouTube Ads: These are ads that are played during a video being played on YouTube, apps, games or videos in Google Display Network. They cannot be more than 3 minutes.
- Discovery YouTube Ads: These ads appear in the search results, homepage, and related videos and as video overlays. These videos have no maximum length limit.
Apart from the abovementioned types of YouTube Ads, following are some other YouTube advertising options on YouTube:
- Bumper Ads: Bumper ads are non-skippable in nature but are only six seconds long. Advertisers pay for these ads on CPM basis. These ads can be used standalone or used to complement bigger non-skippable ads.
- Overlay Ads: This type of YouTube ads is mostly in the format of text or banner display ad which runs along the bottom of the video being played.
- Display Ads: These are displayed banner ads that appear on the YouTube page just above the suggested YouTube Videos.
- Cards & Sponsored Cards: Cards are very small CTA pop-ups that are non-obtrusive unless clicked by the user. On clicking the cards, these cards expand to their full size.
- Masthead Video: This is a premium type of YouTube Ad which is charged on a per day basis. The Masthead video is present on the top of the Home Page.
YouTube Advertising: Types of Targeting Methods
· Contextual Keyword: Put the keywords for which you want the ad to appear. The advertising platform will show the ad to relevant searches on YouTube
· Topics: Like on the Google display network, target people based on certain topics like Travel, Luxury etc. A set of topics are provided by YouTube advertising platform.
· Demographic: Reach people by age, gender, or parental status.
· In-market audiences: People looking to buy certain products can be targeted. For e.g: You can target people searching for books to be bought online or offline.
· Remarketing: Like on other Google network, retarget someone who has visited your YouTube channel before. This is an excellent form of recall marketing.
Benefits of YouTube Advertising
Following are some benefits of YouTube Advertising:
- YouTube has a reach of 225 million users in India and an average user watches about 40 minutes of video on YouTube. YouTube Advertising is a popular option to reach the masses especially non-metro cities which contribute 60% of the users.
- One of the most important benefits of YouTube Advertising is the opportunity to target your customers by using any of the five filters possible: Topic, Demographics, Keywords, Placements and Category.
- YouTube Advertising is economic as compared to other video platforms.
- The advertisers can track the ad performance in real time and make changes whenever required.
- Deeper connect with the audience through video ads A lot can be expressed through a good video. Now get the power of Television without the spillage of a TV campaign
YouTube Advertising: Basic Terminologies to help you book your YouTube advertising campaign with YouTube advertising agencies
- Views: Views refer to the number of times the users have watched or engaged with the YouTube Ads.
- Truview: A truview is applicable to the skippable ad and is used to determine how much the advertisers would have to pay. Truview is when a user watches a video for 30 seconds or entire video (in case the video is less than 30 sec length)
- Avg CPV: Avg CPV is the average cost that the advertiser pays for each time the user watches the YouTube Ad for 30 sec or entire ad duration (if the total duration is less than 30 sec)
- Clicks: Clicks refer to the number of times people click on any element on the video ad and they are directed to some external link like the advertiser’s website.
- Engagement: Engagement happens when viewers click on some element on the video like some icon to expand over the ad but not those which take them to some other website.
- Quartile Reporting: Quartile reporting refers to a report of the number of users who have watched 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% of YouTube Video Ads.
- Linear Video: When video ads run one after the other
- Mid Roll: When video ads are played in between the YouTube video.
YouTube Advertising Rates
YouTube Advertising Rates like Google Search Advertising Rates are based on a bidding system and hence vary depending on a lot of factors. YouTube Advertising is also managed through Google Ad Words account. Video Advertisements on YouTube are charged based on the number of views (Avg CPV) while banner ads/display ads are charged based on per thousand views (CPM). Premium options like Masthead video is charged per day basis. You can check the rates under the tab “Media Options & Pricing”.